RE: Accessible Audio Web Content

The best would, of course, be to offer a variety of formats
(Quicktime, RealAudio, WindowsMedia, generic MP3, etc) plus
text transcripts (flat text file, structured HTML, RTF).
Keep in mind that to do "real" streaming, you will need a
properly set-up streaming server. Quicktime (and some of the
others, if I'm not mistaken) can easily do "fake" streaming
via normal HTTP (i.e. from a webserver), but all that means is
that these will enable playback while the content is still
downloading. With real streaming, the complete file is never
actually transferred to the user's machine completely...but as
I said, that's when you need an actual streaming server to deal
with the various streams (and do more advanced things like
negotiating bandwidth with the client and sending an appropriate
stream, handling multiple streams, etc).

While you're at it, you might want to look at
<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/> and in particular SMIL
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-smil-19980615/>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL-access/>

Hope that helps somewhat,