RE: Helping Jaws (et al) pronounce our company name

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: 24 Sep 2003 13:39:04 +0100
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Generally though, I think I'd prefer the idea of pushing this
> onto the CSS level.

Couldn't agree more.
On the specific subject of "Unum": being a latin word, would marking
it up as such, with something like <span lang="la">Unum</span>, help
the screenreader along with its pronunciation ?

Slightly off topic, but: phonetically, I think "unum" should actually be read
out "uh-num", not "you num". Then again, this is a debate I've been
having for ages with some of my english-speaking friends...but it
appears that they always use a very "anglicised" pronunciation, when it
should actually be more closely related to today's neo-latin languages such
as italian (so "unum" sounding very similar to the italian for one, "uno").
...but I digress

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford