RE: Call for feedback on accessible DHTML menus

From: Tom Croucher <tcroucher@netalleynetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:35:43 +0100
To: <gdeering@acslink.net.au>, "'James Craig'" <work@cookiecrook.com>
Cc: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Accessibility and functionality are not the same.

A site can be accessible with dhtml menus if one can still use the site.
You should think of drop down menus as more link options. If the main
links (at the top of the menu) are still usable it doesn't matter. Most
of this is completely a mute point for screen readers which often see
the entire menu anyway since the dhtml menus usually just visually hide
the extra options they don't want on screen at any point.

Tom Croucher

Co-founder Netalley Networks
BSc(Hons) Computing Student / Information Services Staff University of
Accessibility Co-ordinator Plone CMS