Re: Howto provide and link to foreign language translations?

Ah, and I was going to say that the translations seem mostly to be of a
reasonably good quality, and not like what I get from babelfish,
although some are still linked to babelfish as I write. I trust this is
temporary.

So let me go to the other bits of the question:

You should include a link element in the document head:

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="en-AU" href="how-she-works-mate.html" />

I would also make the flag part of the same link as the text but with
alt="" since the text is there already. This will come out even nicer
in the SVG version.

What to put there is tricky. English is also understood in the US
(although they don't use quite the same language) and many other
countries. Portuguese is spoken in Brasil (with local variations), and
Spanish is the mother tongue of more people than english. As far as I
know there is no standard way of identifying languages other than
words, but the flags are helpful for some.

Using javascript to try and put people on the "right" page is a bad
idea, because it will interfere with people selecting other language
versions I think. But serving something from the server on
Accept-Language makes sense. For what David said about a neutral
version and an english-specific version, you have
"http://www.learningdifferently.com/" which can be neutral, and the
version index.html which is in english - then you need to be clear
about which gets linked to from where in your site, and let people know
on a page somewhere.

cheers

Chaals