Re: RE : Call for feedback on accessible DHTML menus

yoan SIMONIAN wrote:

> If you turn of CSS, menu become unreadable as you can see on the picture
> join at this mail.

That's not turning off CSS, that's Internet Explorer's way to turn off
/some/ CSS (fonts and colors, not positioning). Use the "Toggle CSS"
link in the page to turn off all CSS and you'll see that it's fine
without CSS.

Does anyone have a good solution for overcoming that setting in IE? The
problem is that since it turns off background color CSS, but not CSS
positioning, the text can overlap and be hard to read.

With this IE setting, I don't know that /any/ DHTML menus could overcome
the noted problem. However, one of the things we may provide is a basic
user style sheet for download. This is a much better solution than IE's
weak CSS control.

> The second problem, for me, is that you can't navigate with only the
> keyboard and tab touch.the menus open and close always.

Yeah, I was trying to provide a way around that with the skip links. I
don't want to make them open onclick because the top level contains
links of it's own.

> When you only use keyboard to navigate you can open all sub menus, but the
> focus is always on the top of main menu. You can do ( i dont know how
> exactly but a society we work with do it on his project), an action to put
> focus on the first link of the sub menu you open. A blind expert test it and
> find it very accessible to use.

I'd love to see an example if you can find the site. I'm definately open
to rethinking the problem, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to please
everyone... especially myself. ;)

Thanks for your response.

James

--