RE: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: 2 Sep 2003 16:04:43 +0100
To: "wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I can at least attest that a space would probably not help.
> In fact, what
> worked was explicit text that said, "Type your information here."

But again, that works on a technical level, but from a usability point
of view it's dreadful, as users have to delete the lengthy placeholder
text. Imagine a long form with 10-20 input fields, all with this
type of placeholder text.

Maybe this will make me sound discriminatory, but...is it worth
accommodating for what is obviously a bug in very old (>6 years ?)
technology at the detriment of usability for the majority of users ?

Or maybe I'm just being polemic...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford