Re: Denoting a field is mandatory; hiding table headings to sighted users

From: <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:47:12 +0200 (CEST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On  2 Sep, John Trollope wrote:

> I need the user to supply several bits of information, some of which
> are mandatory. My question is how can I do so that it is presented
> in an optimal way for screen readers?
>
> For sighted users, I usually denote this with an asterisk.

  How about avoiding that - what, after all, does an asterisk have to do
  with something being mandatory ? I'd suggest something like:

   <label for="field">Foo (mandatory information)</label>
    <input type="text"
            id="field"
             name="foo"
              value="">

  styled to fit with CSS, naturally. You might want to fill in a
  suitable value, but I'm not going to re-open that debate.

  The above should work just as well for sighted and non-sighted users,
  as well as anything inbetween.

   [+46] 0708 557 905