Re: Denoting a field is mandatory; hiding table headings to sighted users

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:30:40 +0930
To: John Trollope <John.Trollope@unumprovident.co.uk>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

John Trollope wrote:

> I need the user to supply several bits of information, some of which are mandatory. My question is how can I do so that it is presented in an optimal way for screen readers?
>
> For sighted users, I usually denote this with an asterisk.

How about using the title attribute of the form fields?

Example:

<label for='foo'>Foo!</label>
<input type='text' id='foo' name='foo' size='32' maxlength='64'
title='Enter your value for foo here; this field is mandatory'
tabindex='99' />

For testing, Mozilla displays these titles as a 'tooltip'.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia