Re: JAWSR for Windows for FREE? Lets give a try!

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:41:52 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jim Tobias wrote:
> Does Lynx already perform this function?  If so, shouldn't there be an
> outreach effort to non-blind developers about how to use Lynx as an
> evaluation tool?
I don't know that Lynx will read the same things in the same order
(tables etc) as JAWS although in combination with EMACSpeak, it can work
as a talking browser in it's own right.

I think that you may even find that JAWS is more "forgiving" of poor
coding than Lynx; as a screen reader it is, after all, a patch to make
Windows do what it should have done natively and must therefore be able
to render some pretty dubious stuff.

Lynx is the first tool that I use to check my code once I've previewed
it in Mozilla - even before I run it past AccessValet.

As an aside, anyone know if Lynx has been ported for Palm Pilot?

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia