RE: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

At 10:23 AM 8/27/2003 +0100, Lauke PH wrote:
>I usually tend to have a single space as default value. It's unobtrusive
>(as opposed to longwinded placeholders such as the ones you mention...sure,
>you can use javascript to clear the input onfocus, but that won't prevent
>Lynx users and co. from having to painstakingly delete the default value
>before
>being able to enter their text), and the leading space character that may
>be passed on as a result of this can easily be filtered out server-side
>(for search boxes, it usually doesn't have any influence on the search
>results).
>
>But yes, I'd like to hear other list members' opinions on the "single space"
>solution (?)

But doesn't this defeat the reason behind placing default text in edit
boxes? The related WCAG item says "Some legacy assistive technologies
require initial text in form controls"  - out of curiosity, which user agents?

Thanks.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com

http://ocw.mit.edu                           Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE