RE: using a form field for terms & conditions

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:37:41 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hey folks,
we're all making interesting points about HTML pages, but I think the
original question was about HTML pages vs dialogs (not web pages).  For
example, when installing many products the native OS generates a dialog
that contains the Terms and conditions and an accept button.  The best
convention I've seen is for the dialog to contain the text in a read-only
form field so that the text can be copied, so the text inherits the systems
font size and colors, and so that the screen readers will automatically
read the text.  If it is just plain text in the dialog, not associated with
any control, then many screen reader settings may skip reading it
automatically, it doesn't inherit the fonts size ... etc..

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  IBM Accessibility Services
http://www.ibm.com/able