Re: Call for Review: Working Draft of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0

No, this is a working draft. The point of having a deadline to reply is
that the working group wants to keep working, so needs to set some
expectations.

Typically, W3C groups release a number of working drafts for review and
revision.

They then release a "Last Call" working draft - which is announced as
such. That means the working group thinks it has got all the comments,
resolved the outstanding issues, and hopes to proceed through Candidate
Recommendation (where the group demonstrates implementation and/or
implementability of the spec) and Proposed Recommendation (where the
W3C members are asked to advise on whether this document should indeed
be a W3C Recommendation) to Recommendation (the finished status of a
W3C specification.

Comments received after the last call deadline are generally thought of
as too late - the expectation is that the issues will be raised in
response to working drafts such as the current one.

So comments are important now, although this isn't actually the "last
deadline".

I noted that the announcement was some weeks after the publication of
the draft, which is a bit of a shame. People on the working group
mailing list (like Joe) will of course already have received a brief
note saying the draft was published, and are expected to comment
through the life of the process (as Joe indeed does).

cheers

Chaals