RE: Dynamic sessions

From: Lauke PH <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:53:57 +0100
To: "Scarlett Julian \(ED\)" <Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Nice idea but I'm not sure how easy that would be in reality.
> For instance we're building a PHP intranet for schools and
> have specified the session time out as 60 minutes. It would
> quite easy to allow site administrators to change this but it
> would be a global change to a config file and would affect
> all users who logged in.

Ok, I'm not sure if this would work, but...here goes:
how about setting the session time out quite high (1440 minutes)
and then set a specific time out for the session cookie
(see <http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-cookie-params.php>)
depending on whether the user requires more time or not ?
There's probably a very fundamental flaw with this plan that
I'm overlooking (e.g. what happens when cookies can't be set, and
PHP dynamically adds the session ID to links etc), but maybe someone
more knowledgeable than me could fill in the gaps ?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk