RE: implementing the lang attribute

Hello Melinda, Charles,

The use of language codes is described by RFC3066 (which obsoletes
RFC1766).  See the erratum E41 for the XML spec
http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-2e-errata

I have requested a similar erratum for the HTML spec, and I believe it
is close to happening.  You should use RFC3066 anyway, as it is
backwards compatible with RFC1766.

RFC3066 says you should use the 2-letter codes where available - ensures
better interoperability.  So English should be 'en' not 'eng'.  3-letter
codes can be used where there is no 2-letter code.

The last time I looked (and I don't suspect it has changed) there was no
code for Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese (note that these are
actually scripts rather than languages).  Common practise in the
localisation industry seems to be zh-TW for Traditional and zh-CN for
Simplified (actually meaning taiwanese chinese and (mainland) china
chinese, respectively).

For South America I don't know the answer, although I must say I've
wanted to know for some time.

In terms of online references, you may find
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-tags.html useful.

It's great to see that you are adding the lang tag to the html tag.
Note also (I had a discussion with WCAG about this just last week) that
if you are writing XHTML (which is a good idea, by the way) you should
also have a xml:lang as well as a lang attribute.  That is not yet in
the WCAG guidelines, but hopefully will be soon.

I hope this helps.
Best,

Richard.

Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/

See the W3C Internationalization FAQ page
http://www.w3.org/International/questions.html