Re: Tables, Radio Buttons & Labels...

From: Scott Rippon <scott.rippon@arts.monash.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:20:30 +1000
To: Bill Mason <w3c@accessibleinter.net>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Dear Bill

The W3C HTML 4.01 Recommendation state that:

"Each LABEL element is associated with exactly one form control"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL)

I interpret the above statement as meaning that every individual <input>
or <textarea> elements requires a label to satisfy WAI 10.2 and 12.4
priorities.  Is this right?

If that is right and there must be a one to one relationship between
each individual form control and a label how do you label radio buttons
that appear in tables (like in my example).  Because in a table each
"label" (e.g. column headings) has a number of form controls associated
with it.

That is why my orginal example does not contain any <label> elements.

Kind regards,
Scott Rippon.