Re: Decorators with keyboards

From: Julian Voelcker <asp@tvw.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:43:16 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:13:16 +1200, Mike Brown wrote:
> In fact, most of them are not
> web designers at all: they are graphic designers, or print designers,
> who have strayed into an area they don't understand. They are just
> painters and decorators with keyboards."

I know he has made a number of sweeping generalisations in the article,
but from my experience dealing with about half a dozen design agencies
they really don't know enough about the web.

They can come up with innovative designs but these are often spoilt by
wanting to have rollovers and flash everywhere to give the site more
interactivity and sadly this always seems to be more important than
making the content more interesting.

Unfortunately the other issue about the innovative designs is that they
tend to be so different that users struggle to use them because they
are unused to the formats.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom