Re: Menus, navigation, and simplicity (Perhaps slightly off-topic)

Kevin A Sesock wrote:
> Of course, I am aware I could create a Perl script, or something to the
> effect, and do this similar thing, but I have been unaware of anything
> that's already available. Additionally, your average web dev. package
> will allow the creation of such an item, but it's usually far less
> automated, and usually more complex (again, I reference my lack of time
> available for such a project).

You've got Perl but no Web server access?  No problem!  Consider this
simple example script fragment:

my $q=new CGI;
open (MYFILE, ">index.html");
print MYFILE $q->start_html();
print MYFILE "<h1>My Page</h1><p>Hello, World</p>";
print MYFILE $q->end_html();
close MYFILE;

Rather than sending our code to standard output - normally directed to
your Web server, you simply put the output into a file instead.  NOTE -
Don't use the CGI.pm header() when doing it like this, otherwise you'll
be putting things in your file best left to the Web server.

If you use validation tools, this technique can also be handy for
checking code that normally lurks in password-protected areas of a site
where validators fear to tread.  (The alternative is to navigate to the
page in a browser, then save the page source, but that's getting away
from the original point.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy