From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of William R Williams
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 8:58 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: opening new windows

Is this to say that the "Perfect Pop-up," as reflected in the "Pop-up
Window Generator," is problematic? This generator, which is impressive
me, is online at:

http://www.accessify.com/tools-and-wizards/pop-up-window-generator.asp

. . . and I've used it to present several "pages" at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/snfpa/draft-seis/appendixa/index.htm

Bill Williams

I know that it's not good practice to open new windows but I think that
there are instances where it is valuable from a usability point of view.
Currently I am working on a help system for an intranet and want the
help
page(s) to open in a new window (with the necessary prior warning to
users
of course) so that users can work through the help page whilst still
looking at the site. My questions is, since the use of target is
deprecated, how is it possible to open a new window without the use of
javascript? I don't really want to use client-side scripting if at all
possible but can't see any way round this problem.

thanks

Julian