RE: Form text field default & validation

From: Lauke PH <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:41:59 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

	I'm not sure if it's an acceptable solution (maybe other members of this list might be able to enlighten me), but I have always added a single blank space as default text. AFAIK, the requirement for default text arises from the fact that certain user agents might not display form elements at all if they are missing a default value. value=" " does not usually cause any problems in terms of automatic validators, and - hopefully - with those user agents that exhibit the quirky behaviour mentioned above (btw...anybody know which exact browsers behave that way ?). as long as you strip the leading blank space from the form results after submission, you should be able to still check if a user left fields empty.

	Patrick
	________________________________
	Patrick H. Lauke
	WWW Editor