Re: A Dyslexic Perspective on e-Content Accessibility

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:02:32 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> non windoze users cannot read pdf documents and many windoze users will
> not be able to read many pdf documents

I think you meant to say that non-Windows users cannot make use of the
accessibility features in the latest version of PDF (except in as much
as they are also used to improve the creation of PDA versions).

In my experience, non-Windowws users are much more likely to be able to
read PDF documents visually, as many of them have ghostscript, if not
Acrobat Reader, whereas, unlike Flash, people only end up with Acrobat
Reader on Windows if they install non-Microsoft products that use PDF
for documentation, or download the reader for themselves.

(Home users of Windows are also unlikely to be able to do better than
use Wordpad to read Word - the last time I tried that, all the images
failed. A reader is available, as an explicit download.)

My impression is that Adobe are holding out against Microsoft.