Re: Accessibility of Microsoft Word Documents

Quoting Tina Marie Holmboe <tina@elfi.org>:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:40:38PM +1200, Graham Oliver wrote:

>   May I ask why you chose that particular format over one which is - or can
>   be made to be - accessible, such as HTML ?
>
>   I must admit that I have little experience with it, but I can't say I've
>   run across programs that make Microsoft Word accessible to the blind, but
>   am certain they exist free of cost[1].

Just as a note, I've found that a little utility called upcast (review at
http://www.pibweb.com/software/upcast.html) can quite nicely transform a well
written Word document into XHTML or XML.  The better the structure of the
document, the better XHTML you will get.

Lynn