Re: J the Z on CSS transparency and Jaws

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:51:27 -0800
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 05:27 AM, David Woolley wrote:
> One reason for JAWS honouring the visual behaviour, besides the fact
> that
> it is a bolt on  to a visual rendering model, not an aural browser, may
> well be that this sort of tactic has long been used to keyword stuff
> pages
> for search engines (even though many search engine operators say they
> will
> blacklist people caught doing this).  The old version of my employer's
> web page used to have large amounts of white on white text and I've
> seen
> that particular tactic on the pages of more well known companies, both
> long after reports of search engine blacklisting.
> It's an unfortunate fact of life that any technique designed to
> provide alternative content for the blind is likely to be abused
> in this way, and JAWS has to be designed for run of the mill pages,
> not those written by people who care about accessibility.
A good plan for screen readers, if possible, would be to use the idea
of "quirks mode" as developed by a number of browsers for CSS
rendering.  There's a "quirks mode" which preserves the bad habits
that web developers have come accustomed to from legacy browsers,
and a "standards" mode which does things the right way.  The switch
is whether or not a certain doctype has been specified.

I'm not sure what the switch should be for "accessible" mode, but I'm
sure we might be able to come up with something to suggest.

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com
Author, CSS in 24 Hours                       http://cssin24hours.com
Inland Anti-Empire Blog                      http://blog.kynn.com/iae