Re: Text Only Sites

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:55:54 +0100
To: John Routa <jr@jrouta.net>
CC: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

John Routa wrote:

> I have a friend that is totally blind that uses JAWS screen reader.  I
> asked what he felt about the "text only" concept.  He replied that his
> screen reader ignores graphics altogether.
>
> If a graphic is in itself a link, it should be identified as such in
> the ALT or LONGDESC attributes. I think that would negate the need for
> "text only" pages.

I believe that you are correct, and that recognised best practise is
generally not to produce text only sites. (These are not the same
statement: There are reasons for recommending against text-only pages
which have nothing to do with images nor with screen readers)

Chaals
--
Charles McCathieNevile    Fundacion Sidar
http://www.sidar.org