Re: Text Only Sites

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, John Routa wrote:

> I have a friend that is totally blind that uses JAWS screen reader.  I
> asked what he felt about the "text only" concept.  He replied that his
> screen reader ignores graphics altogether.

you have to remember that JAWS is a proprietary screen reader, very
expensive and only avaliable for the latest versions of windoze

one of the major problems with many websites is that they are written for
only certain operating systems or web browsers.  This is a WORLD wide web
and as such must deal with many levels of usage and users and
equipment.  Also because the majority of people with disabilities are
still unemployed or underemployed economics is a major issue, so a larger
percentage of users are likely not running the latest and greatest (and
most expensive) hardware and software.  so accessibility also means slower
connections, older operating systems, less sophisitcated browsers and Open
Source software

> If a graphic is in itself a link, it should be identified as such in the
> ALT or LONGDESC attributes. I think that would negate the need for "text
> only" pages.

I agree I don't see the "need" for text only pages but the page still has
to be readable by basic browsers such as Lynx

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net