Re: What accesskeys are there?

At 22:16 +1100 UTC, on 2/28/03, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

[...]

> the browser may map the keys to other ones

That could be a good idea. Although I'm not sure how well it could be
implemented. Automatically mapping accesskeys to something else would require
the browser to parse the BODY and be able to 'understand' the context. We
tried something like that in Mac Opera 5, with the LINK bar. Finding links to
for instance the homepage worked quite well, but some other 'standard links'
are a lot harder to find without getting too many false positives. Plus you'd
have to implement it for each language...

Of couse you could ignore the context, and just look at the defined accesskey
themselves - remap those. Perhaps that is what you meant? But I don't
immediately see how this would be useful. Perhaps remapping them to something
serial? First accesskey gets an "a" assigned, next a "b", etc?

> , or do something different.

Can you illustrate what sort of "something different" you have in mind?

> [...] I don't like sites that claim I can
> follow a link that has an accesskey by pressing alt, the key, then
> enter

Agreed. That's of the same intelligence level as "right-click to download"
and even of "click here".

[...]

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>