Re: Use first letter as ACCESSKEY

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:31:39 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Bill Mason wrote:

> This (and a later passage) seems to discount the usefulness of accesskey to
> those of other disabilities, such as the blind.

In a webpage context, yes.  When I raised the subject, I had in mind
an application context, in which users might learn a standardised set of
accesskeys for the application.  Since that's a learning curve,
standardisation seems to be the key to usefulness.

> The issue is not that of coders having difficulty assigning unique
> accesskeys.  In my opinion, the major problem with implementing accesskeys
> is that the method of activation (using a modifier key such as ALT in
> Windows) almost automatically causes conflicts with accesskeys of the
> user's OS and applications, including the user agent itself.

Yes, that's precisely the problem, and the reason for my question!

mod_accessibility is an application.  But the users who will benefit
from it are reading web pages.  I'd like to assign default accesskeys
to the application, but in a manner that also works on webpages.

Use of first letter is one option, but could at worst be actively
harmful if it clashes with someone's existing UA controls!

Nick Kew