Re: Guidance re Accesskeys

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:42:52 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Nick,

I have read other threads in HWG lists on this topic, and almost every key
combination suggested for standard web site actions was, according to
someone, used in their browser for something useful. I wrote an article on
it too - and got no useful feedback. The only suggestion I have seen is to
use numbers - but these aren't as easy to remember as letters. And anyway,
other posts here appear to rule those out.

As you say, part of the problem is that there is no standard for web use -
and no standard for web structure or content, either. We all learn different
key combinations for most applications (apart from the really common things
like file save, file print, copy, cut, paste etc.) - so perhaps what is
needed is some accepted convention for user agents. Chances of that - think
snowballs and hell ;-)

Lois Wakeman
http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com