default cursor focus

From: Kerstin Goldsmith <kerstin.goldsmith@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:44:24 -0800
To: wai <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

I seem to recall hearing/seeing something about the idea of defaulting
the cursor focus into the first form field on a page as an ease-of-use
recommendation, but I cannot find any references to it.  Are there any
WAI recommendations about this?  I have tried pages out that have search
fields as well as login screens, and they seem to work quite well with
screenreaders: the screenreader first reads the "label+edit" and then
proceeds reading the rest of the page until a user starts entering their
search criterion or login info.

Thanks for any pointers,
-Kerstin