Re: Title and alt on the site logo.

and if you do use words in the logo, they should appear in the alt.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Mason" <w3c@accessibleinter.net>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Title and alt on the site logo.

At 09:00 AM 2/7/2003, Tim Roberts wrote:
>However, in doing so the link may now be apparent through the value of the
>alt attribute (or title if the logo only text).

Are you bringing that up to say it's a good or bad thing?  I'm not clear.

>What, then, is th ebest suggestion for populating these attributes.
>
>for example
>alt="Site Name: link to home page."

I wouldn't include any mention of a link in the IMG ALT.  The ALT should
simply reflect whatever message the logo itself expresses, typically the
site name/company name.

>and obviously if the logo was textual, should a title of
>title="links to home page"
>suffice?

I would not include the TITLE on an IMG tag, at least not a title that
talks about the hyperlink.  The A tag's TITLE could certainly reflect where
the link is going to go.

Depending on how a text "logo" is marked up, I would keep link info in the
A tag TITLE as well, not the tag that identifies the text-only "logo" as
such.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
w3c@accessibleinter.net