From: "Gerard Torenvliet" <g_torenvliet@sympatico.ca>
To: "'Jim Ley'" <jim@jibbering.com>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: ALT as required attribute

Jim:

When I made the switch from IE to a Mozilla-based browser, I was initially
disappointed when this browser did not offer Alt attribute text on
mouse-over. It made my job as a designer more difficult, because I now
actually had to look at my code in parallel while auditing a page to check
the Alt text. This is a pain.

However, on reflection I've found it to be a good pain because it makes me
more conscientious. Instead of using Alt text first as an interface aid that
is presented on mouse-over, and second as a screen-reader aid, it forces me
to be more discriminating. Alt text should present text equivalents
(equivalents only, nothing more than a sighted reader would get through
looking at a graphic), and Title text can present additional interface aids.
In this way, things that benefit screen-readers only (i.e., "Iconic
representation of a report", or "Graphic of a man fishing from a dock")
don't clutter up the view for those who don't use screen-readers, and
interface aids are available to all.

The real problem here is Internet Explorer. By insisting to be
backwards-compatible with legacy (but non-standard) uses of the Alt
attribute and so displaying Alt text as a tooltip if Title text doesn't
exist, this browser fails to educate designers by example of the different
between Alt text and Title text.

Rather, it should follow the lead of Mozilla: support the HTML spec, even
when it can necessitate design changes. Mozilla's way of recognizing
backwards compatibility issues has been by offering plug-ins that turn on
the Alt as tooltip behaviour. This educates and encourages people to code
things to be specification compliant, precisely because it is cumbersome!

Best regards,
-Gerard