RE: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

--- "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> For layout tables, we might take the pragmatic
> approach that omitting
> summary attributes is the simplest way and won't
> cause protests except
> from checkers.

i wish it was that easy and normally i would only care
about making a website truly accessible no matter what
the automated checkers say.

but then my boss, who hired me as an accessibility
expert, says, why doesn't our site pass the bobby
test?  i might spend a few minutes trying to explain
my decisions to him and might even succeed.  but how
do i defend myself against a publicly available report
on the accessibility of higher education project
websites where one of my sites is listed as failing
bobby.

i have applied numerous (what i consider) hacks to
please bobby just so that my sites *look* accessible
to outsiders.

i'm not blaming bobby and its makers, they wanted to
supply a useful tool to web designers and that's what
they did.  it is not a tool for people who have no
understanding of the details and only look for the
'bobby approved' or 'repair needed' graphic.

iris

=====