Re: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

dunno, How about some little gif in the table called summary.gif with
alt=""?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phill Jenkins" <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

The problem I'm dealing with is how to tell if a layout table has been
checked and verified that it is in fact a layout table and doesn't need
headings (TH's) or a useful summary etc.?  If I never leave a mark on the
layout table, I'll never know that I have already checked and verified it.

One of the proposals on the table is (pun intended) using the summary
attribute to place the keyword "layout" to distinguish it from a data
table. Checking tools would then be able to use this keyword as a flag that
this particular table does not need to be checked for headings, etc.
Assuming that a table is a layout table because it does NOT have a summary
or does not have heading (TH's) is problematic because most tables today,
including data tables, do not have the proper markup. SO without proper
markup, I have to assume it has to be checked.

Besides using the summary attribute to keep the keyword "layout", the other
option is the title attribute, but IE will display the title as a visual
tool tip.  Authors will never place it in the title attribute if the
browsers keep showing it via the tool tip.  So in my opinion the best
approach is to use the summary attribute.

Opinions?

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  IBM Research Division - Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able