From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Scarlett Julian (ED)
Sent: Wednesday, 22 January 2003 9:57 PM
To: W3c-Wai-Ig
Subject: RE: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

> the difference here is that while alt="" shows nothing,
> summary="" will
> still say summary.

I hadn't realised that. That would annoy the hell out of me given the
prevalence of pages using layout tables. I retract my original preferred
solution and say screw Bobby and go for not including a summary. The
point
here is not to satisfy someone's idea of what constitutes an accessible
page
(e.g achieving Bobby compliance) and actually create a page that works
for
people. I nearly wrote a ranting response yesterday along the lines of a
guideline being just that and not getting caught up in the rigidity of
satisfying validation tools but thought better of it....maybe I should
have
:-) That's my two pennies for today (and I fully expect to get
semi-flamed
for this)

-J.

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not
the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email
software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any
responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it
has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the
message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as
possible.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---