From: "Scarlett Julian (ED)" <Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk>
To: "W3c-Wai-Ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 8:29 AM
Subject: RE: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

Isn't this issue analogous to that of including an empty alt attribute
(alt="") for images that are purely decorative (and yes, I'm aware that
there is a point of view that says all images convey some information even
if it's not intended as such by the author).

summary="" for layout tables seems an ideal solution to me but then I don't
use AT.

If it's really that much of an issue for the author then build pages without
using layout tables. Simple.

--J.

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software
as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility
for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted
over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been
intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.