Re: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

and it is especially annoying when each page has multiple lay out tables on
it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Foliot - bytown internet" <foliot@bytowninternet.com>
To: "iris" <iristopa@yahoo.com>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 5:23 PM
Subject: RE: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

It is recommended that all data tables containing table data (as opposed to
layout tables) contain a Summary Attribute.  This is increasingly important
if there are multiple tables on the same page.

Conversely, while it is good practice to provide summaries to data tables,
providing summaries to tables used solely for layout purposes is redundant
and of little value to users. ("This is my pen, I use it to write with...")

This becomes particularly annoying when there is a table used for layout on
each page of a site.  The speach reader will remind you (EVERY SINGLE TIME)
that "this is a table used for layout".

JF