Re: Frames and Accessibility

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Julian Voelcker wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:40:48 +0000 (GMT), Nick Kew wrote:
> > mod_accessibility
> >
> > An Apache filter module that fixes content for accessibility on the
> > fly.  With Frames, it offers two options to users:
> >   * Noframes view - present Noframes content and frames as links
> >   * Full view - presents contents of each Frame inline
>
> That's interesting, but we are running on Win2K/IIS.

Not a problem.  All you need to do is set up Apache as a proxy, and
add mod_accessibility.  Users who need it (or their system
administrators) will configure their browsers to use the proxy;
other users can just ignore it.

> > > 4. As part of our strive for accessibility we have added a page so that
> > > users can set their own fonts, colours, etc.
> >
> > Better to let users adjust their own preferences in the *browser*.
>
> They can do that as well, but it is surprising how many people aren't aware
> of the browser option.

But if your page described how to do that, your users experience would
be enhanced throughout the web, not just on your own site.  I am reminded
of the old Oxfam adage: your page gives the user a fish ("feed him for
a day"), whereas telling them how to use the browser teaches him to
fish ("feed him for life").

--
Nick Kew