Re: Frames and Accessibility

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Julian Voelcker wrote:

> OK, I am now trying to convert the site so that it is as accessible as
> possible using XHTML, CSS - I am aiming for WAI-AA.

Excellent!

> The problem is I am not 100% sure what to do about the frames.

mod_accessibility

An Apache filter module that fixes content for accessibility on the
fly.  With Frames, it offers two options to users:
  * Noframes view - present Noframes content and frames as links
  * Full view - presents contents of each Frame inline

> I can't realistically get rid of them totally because it degrades the
> functionality for normal users too much.

With mod_accessibility, you offer users the choice of the original
content or accessible options.  Best of both worlds!

> 1. Put an alternative version in the <noframes> section - this might be

where possible, that's best of course

> 4. As part of our strive for accessibility we have added a page so that
> users can set their own fonts, colours, etc.

Better to let users adjust their own preferences in the *browser*.

>	  We could expand that so
> that users can specify whether they are happy to use frames or not and
> then deliver what they can handle.

That'd be the option whether or not to filter content through
mod_accessibility.

mod_accessibility is work-in-progress, and deals well with frames
so far as it's been tested (as did the old Accessibility Proxy it's
based on).  I'd be happy to have your feedback on how well (or
otherwise) it meets your needs.

--
Nick Kew