RE: Frames and Accessibility

From: Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:49:33 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Julian,

Everybody is down on frames and I think one reason is that screen
readers (because of IE) have not, up till now, properly implemented
frames. Frames provide the best "skip Navigation" imaginable. When you
open content from the menu frame, assistive technology should
automatically be reading the content. Any time you follow a link within
a frameset, content that changes should automatically get focus. IE
doesn't do that, so JAWS didn't either (I have forgotten what
Window-Eyes does). HPR does it right now and JAWS will, in the next

In all the responses to your question, Julian, I didn't see the one
"required by" Section 508. That is to provide meaningful titles to each
frame that describe the purpose of the frame. As someone said about the
name attribute, "top" is not good but "messages" makes sense. These
titles should be in BOTH the name and title attributes of the frame
elements because some assistive technologies use the name attribute;
some use the title. It is also a good idea to check that your frame
pages have meaningful TITLE elements, something that is often omitted
because they are not usually visible. There is more about frames in the
web course, http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse4.htm#webcourse4.2 .

With all the bad vibes that frames are receiving in this thread; please
understand that there is nothing in WCAG AA that require you not to use

508 Web Accessibility Tutorial http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm.
"Constructing Accessible Web Sites:"  http://jimthatcher.com/news.htm