Re: Javascript Image Roll-over

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:09:09 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>

> > And yes, it's pretty much a wank to use JavaScript for these functions.
>
> I've been unable to get a:hover or a:focus to modify the properties of a
> different element, which is often done with javascript.  For example, you
> roll over or tab to a button and to the right of the button a related image
> appears (naturally, this related image is useful for understanding the
> content of the button).
>
> Does anyone have any examples of making something like this work without
> javascript/with CSS?

Pure-CSS popups, baby!

<http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html>

If extreme backward compatibility is an issue, using JavaScript for
this purpose, but not really for typography of links, ceases to be a
wank.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_