Re: Automated Accessibility Options

On Monday, Jan 13, 2003, at 21:44 Australia/Melbourne, Jim Ley wrote:

> "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@sidar.org> wrote in message

>>> Are you sure about that?  My concern is that RDF introduces a whole
>>> new level of complexity, that doesn't really seem justified in
>>> such a simple negotiation.  Unless perhaps we reduce it in the
>>> manner of dc: in HTML <meta> elements?
>> I am sure you should look at CC/PP... Actually I am not certain that
>> the use of RDF does increase the overhead unjustifiably.
>
> You can build a proxy into IE that modifies simple headers easily
> (actually
> you can, I think, do it simply via the registry, and 5 lines of script
> provide the registry changing...), coupling an RDF parser into is
> certainly
> non-trivial, you also have the problem of educating users to author
> appropriate vocabularies, or develop a suitable editor.

You certainly need a decent editor - expecting people to edit RDF for
setting up preferences is just dreaming. Even something like Apple's
Access menu in OS X.2 (which groups functionality problems, but
provides fairly tech-oriented proposals for solutions, and doesn't have
simple things like "i would like the font bigger please...") doesn't
strike me as good enough yet. But it is going in the right direction.

There may be someone working on this problem in Melbourne, as part of a
larger project. I'll follow up.

> CC/PP is massively
> over-engineered for the above, doesn't work simply with web caches
> (unlike
> Nick's x-accessibility header)

Why doesn't CC/PP work readily with caches?

>    A simple view header which describes what
> resource you want from the server, is very different to describing to
> the
> server what you can deal with, and leaving it up to the server to
> decide
> what to give.

True. But at its simplest CC/PP should work like a view header, except
it will allow people to generate a one-off profile for themselves that
can't really be done using Nick's simple proposal. (It is a question of
whether the 80/20 solution works here, or whether there is value using
the full framework in order to get another 80% of the 20% left out in
the first cut...)

cheers

chaals

--