Re: WCAG Checkpoint 5.3

On Friday, June 27, 2003, 9:39:11 AM, Pablo Enríquez wrote:
> "5.3 Do not use tables for layout unless the table makes sense when
> linearized. Otherwise, if the table does not make sense, provide an
> alternative equivalent (which may be a linearized version).
> [Priority 2]"
>
> I've read this and WAI Techniques many times and I think the
> majority of tables on the web are readable and understandable line
> by line. I believe this checkpoint don´t forbid table layout for AA
> at all. What's more, possibly the checkpoint promotes nested tables.

Make sure to pay attention to the note afterwards:

  "Once user agents support style sheet positioning, tables should not
   be used for layout"
    -- http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#tech-avoid-table-for-layout

I'd say that note is now in effect, and thus no site using tables for
layout can claim WCAG AA compliance. But that is a largely a matter of
opinion.

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/