Re: HTML vs XHTML

David Woolley wrote:
>>To answer this one from my angle, the ability to apply XSLT translations
>>to XHTML is an advantage, and a big one.
>
> What features of HTML parse trees make them incompatible with XSLT?

It's not so much a question of "can't work" as "shouldn't work".

My understanding is that at the heart of a programme which applies the
XSLT translation, there is an XML parser.  With HTML not being
well-formed, the parser should not, if complying with specification, be
able to read the HTML file.  Even the best-designed, valid, HTML should
not parse because, basically, it is not XML and that is what the parser
is expecting.

That is not to say that one could not write a translation utility based
on an SGML/HTML parser.  One would have to be very careful that HTML fed
to this is valid, otherwise unpredictable results would occur - this is
the very reason that XML parsers are designed to stop as soon as they
see something that is not well formed.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy