HTML vs XHTML (was: accessify.com's review of RNIB relaunch)

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:16:59 +0930
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi All
>> Such as:
>>  - A customed designed kiosk?
>>  - That refridgerator that downloads recipes?
>>  - Some old WAP phone made with WML in mind but not HTML?

> How are those arguments for XHTML?  What are the advantages of XHTML
> over HTML in these cases?

To answer this one from my angle, the ability to apply XSLT translations
to XHTML is an advantage, and a big one.

I am developing systems, including an Accesible kiosk where content
needs to be served in different formats.  Originally, I was going to use
my own flavour of XML which would then be translated into (X)HTML, WML,
Voice XML, etc.  I realised that I could economise here by writing
everything in XHTML, ready to use for the Web, then apply various XSLT
stylesheets to get the other formats.

Although this is probably a shaky argument, I could conclude that the
ability to translate XHTML to other formats using XSLT makes it more
Accessible since the /original content/, through conversion, can be
presented to a wider audience.

Whilst it would be possible to write software to do similar conversions
to HTML, this would be re-inventing the wheel somewhat.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia