Re: what's the header? was Re: accessify.com's review of RNIB relaunch

From: Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:42:46 -0700
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 02:47  PM, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>> Good question!
>> In the archive section of my site, I would (hmm. I guess that's
>> "will", now) make the title of the entry into the <h1>, since it is
>> the only meaningful header in the document, and change the title of
>> the site into a <div>, since it's not as relevant in the rest of the
>> site as it is on the home page.
>
> Except you've just eliminated one level of the information hierarchy
> entirely.  That's not a good thing.

No, I haven't. It's only an <h1> on the home page because it is the
most relevant descriptor of the document. Elsewhere, it's metadata, a
component of consistent user interface -- and arguably useless to
people browsing in header view.

Please, Kynn, won't you please let me tear down my own site? :)

> The problem is your insistence that the <h1> _must_ represent the most
> important content:  no, the <h1> _must_ represent something in the
> hierarchy that applies to the entire page, and which includes the
> following <h2> (etc) headers.

In this section of the site, though, the main content is and will only
be relevant to that one heading. I won't have more than one heading per
page in the archives, and it's the only reason to visit that page. So
in this case I wouldn't say that I'm insisting on the most important
content; rather, it's the only content that applies to the page, and
therefore, in my mind, should be an <h1>.

-