Re: list management

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:00:58 -0700
Cc: tina@greytower.net, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Access Systems <accessys@smart.net>

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 04:49 PM, Access Systems wrote:
> in my version of PINE I don't see the list as the sender but the
> Sender is
> listed as the person who sent the message to the list...and since I
> keep
> headers turned off most of the time I'm not sure how the filter would
> work
> there...besides I generally prefer the human filter,,,me

If your version of PINE shows you something that it claims is
the Sender: header but is actually the From: header, then something's
wrong with your email program.  *shrug*

You could, if you want, get yourself a better email program -- such as
using procmail as a filter on incoming email.

None of that changes the fact that From:, To:, and CC: are very poor
choices for mailing list filtering.  Mailing lists should be filtered
on the Sender: mail header line (or, if that's not set, on another
unique header).

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com