RE: what languages can screen readers read in?

I believe there are Japanese versions of Jaws & Home Page Reader available
in Japan. It's difficult to get information in the US (in English) about
local versions of screen readers.

HAL supports nine languages (the usual European suspects).

http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/products/hal.htm

The Dolphin speech synthesizers support(ed) 40 languages under DOS. Not
sure what the current status is.

Keep in mind the difference between a screen reader that can read text in
another language (but with menus, prompts, etc. in its native language),
vs. a screen reader written for a particular language.

Patrick