RE: Longdesc attribute for images

From: John Foliot - WATS.ca <foliot@wats.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:54:10 -0400
To: <tina@greytower.net>, "W3c-Wai-Ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > It said too that a "d-link" is a solution.
>
>   I've heard a lot about "d-link". I'm even using D-Link - it's a
>   manufacturer of hardware. I've never EVER seen "d-link" specified in
>   either WCAG, HTML, or an RFC - and never on a website.
>
>   May I take this opportunity to ask if someone could point me to the
>   specification of "d-link"s ?

http://wats.ca/resources/longdesc/31

Tina, it's not so much a specification but rather a "recommendation" (now
somewhat dated) which emerged from the (primarily) blind user community in
the States.  My first encounter with it was via the WGBH
(http://ncam.wgbh.org/); early on Bobby also "spoke" of it, and continues to
do so (http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/glossary.jsp).

> > On my own experience, no graphical browser accept the longdesc
> attribute for img or frames.  Lynx doesn't accept it too.
>
>   All Gecko-based browsers support it. I use it myself, and has found it
>   very nice indeed, even if the Mozilla crowd could include a
>   *clickable* link instead of just making it available.

Netscape 7.x (PC) does this.  Place mouse cursor over image (see example
above) and rightclick >> choose properties.  The hyperlink to the
longdesc.html file is active and "clickable"

JF