Forms

From: Angela K Hilton <angela.hilton@umist.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:33:00 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered already:

I am currently writing a guide to accessible web forms, and have realised two
things:
1. I don't really understand how the element properties work together
2. I don't really know how screen readers handle them

Am I correct in thinking that the <label> == <id>?  Or is it actually the same
as <name>: I have always set "name" and "id" as the same thing.  But what I'm
not clear on is which property a screen reader would read.

e.g. in the example below would the screen reader read the label, text, name
or id. [i am guessing that whichever it is that it needs to be readable
text].  Also is there anything I am missing that would make this form more
accessible?

<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
<fieldset>
  <legend>Personal Details</legend>
  <input type="text" name="lastname" accesskey="L" tabindex="1" id="lastname"
alt="Last Name">
  </fieldset>
</form>

I am also having trouble getting the alt tag to work.

Angela

Angela K Hilton
Web & E-Learning Officer
UMIST