Re: Are Screenreaders "aural" devices?

From: Jerry Weichbrodt <gerald.g.weichbrodt@ived.gm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:37:02 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Personally, I'd be hard pressed to classify a screen reader precisely as
"aural" or otherwise.  In the case of JAWS, for example, the product is
already telling the blind user things that are not on the screen such as
table summaries, indications of long descriptions, and so on.  Such features
seem to fit in the "aural browser" category.  On the other hand, JAWS's main
purpose seems to be to render what's on screen in a fashion that someone not
looking at the screen can understand.  So, JAWS is playing both sides of the
road, and I'm sure a constant challenge is to "harmonize" these two aspects
so as not to give too much redundant or (gasp) conflicting information.

Regards,
Jerry