Re: Why Skip Navigation Links are a Hack

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:54:55 +0100
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: tina@greytower.net

Well I do hope it's not too late to open this up a bit.

I've wanted an <html include> for a while now, not server side but
client side.
whether everything in it can be assumed to be navigation is another
matter, but that is a possibility.

an additional tag <navigation> (whilst open to abuse) offers the
obvious advantage of clarity in defining structure.

However there is also a general issue that audio and visual output
require different structures, which skip navigation does little to

We use CSS with absolute positioning to enable links to be ordered for
audio use but presented for visual use:
we also use scripting to enable a liquid presentation that fills the
screen, which may not appeal to all.

Perhaps someone can find something positive to say about this approach,
which whilst not perfectly accessible, does work well for our users.